Skip to main content

Find an Asthma Specialist

Find an Asthma Specialist

An asthma specialist is a healthcare provider with specialized training in the care of people with asthma. Most often, asthma specialists have spent 2-3 years of extra training in allergy or pulmonology. Many people with asthma can be treated by their primary care doctor but some should be seen by an asthma specialist. National (NHLBI) and international (GINA) asthma guidelines suggest that adults and children with asthma should see an asthma specialist when:

  • The diagnosis of asthma is uncertain.
  • Asthma symptoms are not well controlled.
  • They have had a life-threatening asthma attack.
  • They have had 2 or more courses of oral steroids in a year.
  • There have been multiple ER or urgent care visits.
  • An asthma attack requiring hospitalization has occurred.
  • They are requiring daily oral steroids to control their asthma.
  • Goals of treatment are not being met after 3-6 months of asthma therapy.
  • Additional testing is needed (allergy testing, lung function testing).
  • There are side effects from treatment (like growth delay in children).
  • Conditions like allergies, vocal cord dysfunction, COPD, sinusitis, nasal polyps or worsening asthma with aspirin/NSAID usage are present.
  • A job-related trigger is suspected.
  • The patient requires additional education about asthma and how to properly take their medications.

Click the city name to see a listing of Asthma Specialists in your area:

  • American Lung Association
  • UNMC College of Public Health
  • WellCare
  • Nebraska DHHS
  • Children's Hospital & Medical Center Omaha